Thursday, December 27, 2012

Mom-servasions

Mom + observation. See what I did there? You're welcome for the unnecessary explanation.

Voltaire said, “The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while Nature affects the cure.” This is my life right now, amusing two children with lingering colds until they feel better. This is a problem because I'm just not particularly inclined to be an amusing mother. My sweet babies were blessed with the economy car of mommas. I get the job done, I just don't have backup cameras and Satellite radio. I love and kiss them like they're the beloved ones that they are. I keep them from drinking from the toilet, playing in the street and indulging in other self-destructive tendencies that babies and toddlers seem to have. I try to make sure they eat more avocado and fewer m&m's, and that they read more books and watch less TV (I'm losing the avocado one, but the other things are going okay). 

I'm just not the type to make daily schedules, playdates, or those adorable quiet time busy bags. (I do, however, have friends who do and give them to me - Lord bless them). 


Maybe this is a character flaw. Maybe it's just how I was raised. I'm pretty sure if the words "I'm bored" came out of our mouths, my mom sent us to wash dishes or clean the bathroom. Hopefully everything works together for good and my little guys will be all the more independent because of their non-amusing mom. I see these cute, cute mommies who have activity stations in their home and a daily itinerary on the wall (that their two-year-old can already read). Really, they rock! I'm trying to find the balance of being teachable and learning some tips from these families and just accepting how I'm wired. 


I don't think I'm wavering on this one though: in the future, if any of my kids complain about being bored, so help me, they will be scrubbing every bit of grout I can find!

No comments: